Astanga Hrdayam of Vaghbata, CH1,11
pittaṃ sasneha tīkṣṇoṣṇam laghu visraṃ saraṃ dravam: ||
The qualities of Pitta are unctuous, sharp, hot, light, foul-smelling, fluid/mobile, liquid.
|Sasneha सस्नेह||slightly oily, unctuous, greasy; affectionate, tender||PK|
|Tīkṣṇa तीक्ष्ण||sharp, intense, penetrating||VP|
|Sara सर||fluid, mobile, spreading||VP|
|Drava द्रव||liquid||PK, then K↓|
Astanga Hrdayam of Vaghbata, CH1,18
guru manda hima snigdha ślakṣṇa sāndra mṛdu sthirā
guṇā: sasūkṣma viśadā: viṃśati: sa viparyayā: ||
Heavy, Slow, Cool, Unctuous, Smooth, Dense, Soft and Stable. These qualities, along with subtle, clear and their opposites, comprise the 20 qualities.
- guru (heavy) • laghu (light in weight)
- manda (slow). • tiksna (quick,fast)
- sheeta/hima (cold) • ushna (hot)
- snighda (unctuous) • ruksa (dry)
- slaksna (smooth) • khara (rough)
- sandra (solid) • drava (liquid)
- mrdu (soft) • kathina (hard)
- sthira (stable) • cala/sara (moving, unstable)
- suksma (stable, small) • sthula (big,gross)
- vishada (non slimy) • picchila (slimy)
Charaka Samhita Sutrasthana, CH 1, 41
- Āyus + Vid
Charaka Samhita Sutrasthana, CH 1, 44-45
- Like increases like. Opposite qualities balance each other.
Charaka Samhita Sutrasthana, CH 1, 49
- 20 Gurvādi Guṇas
- Enables proper digestion of food
- Enables proper perception of visual objects by eye
- Helps in maintaining normal temperature of body
- Provides normal complexion to an individual
- Responsible for manifestation of boldness, pleasure and tranquility
- Will cause improper indigestion of food and production of toxic byproducts (Āma). Āma produces blocks in all channels of body, deplete tissues of nutrition, get accumulated in tissues and channels and damage them over a period of time, causing disorders.
- Causes improper perception of visual object by eye, causes visual errors, eye diseases and blindness
- Responsible for sub-normal or abnormal body temperature which in turn is cause of low metabolism in body and root for many systemic illnesses
- Provides impaired color and complexion to an individual
- Responsible for manifestation of fear, delusion & worry
- Accumulates in rainy season
- Aggravates in autumn season
Middle age: time of productivity, active working & earning. Requires energy, enthusiasm of pitta.
Physical & mental burnout, inflammatory disorders and emotional turmoil.
- soft and smooth
- loose stools
|INCREASE PITTA ↑||DECREASE PITTA ↓|
|Grains||oats, amaranth, barely, rice, wheat|
|Spices||turmeric, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom, fennel|
|Veggies||all sweet and astringent types of vegetable, leafy green vegetables, green beans, broccoli, peas, cucumber, potatoes, cabbage, squash, mushrooms, lettuce, celeriac, asparagus, courgettes|
|Fruits||bananas, pears, plums, figs, pomegranates, cherries, mangos, melons, grapes. Fruit should be consumed at least one hour before or after meals, and not at all in the evening.|
|Meats||eggs in moderation. Fish should be avoided. Other meat products as well.|